350 for 350
If you all have any time Thursday, feel free to join us for this...
"350 for 350"
[literally in this case standing 350 minutes to make case for carbon levels to come down to 350 ppm!]
[specifically, will be standing with large professionally made sign from noon to 6 pm at main intersection in Rhinebeck at corner of Rt. 9 and Rt. 308 in middle of town; feel free to come out for all or part of this!]
Also-- do you agree with NASA's top climatologist James Hansen and Bill McKibben of http://www.350.org that local, state, and federal levels of government all need to recognize the reality that unless the level of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere is brought back down to 350 parts per million, the consequences for all of us will be severe and irreversible?
If you do, sign on to this to complement 350.org: http://www.petitiononline.com/350now !
Now more than ever we have to think globally and act locally; our future literally depends on it.
Together we can do this, folks-- we can turn things around (we have to!).
Also-- at this event, we'll be continuing to try to build support across Dutchess County for the following ways for our county government to be much more pro-active on this issue...
[you help make 'em reality with your letters to email@example.com!]
Ten Common-Sense Ways Dutchess County Can Cut Carbon Emissions-- and Save Tax Dollars...
1. No more delays implementing resolution #208082 Co. Leg. passed in April for solar @ 22 Market St.
[ http://www.osc.state.ny.us/press/releases/mar08/030608.htm ; http://www.petitiononline.com/solaryes ]
2. No more delays implementing resolution #208087 Co. Leg. passed in April for no-cost energy audits.
3. No delay implementing resolution #208182-- for county to follow Cambridge Energy Alliance model.
[ http://www.dutchessny.gov/CountyGov/Departments/Legislature/ResolutionsPDF/208182.pdf ]
4. Declare voluntary "no-idling summer" for county (G.O.P. Rockland County Exec passed similar law).
5. Big Green Bus to showcase best practices: 15 LOOP buses being replaced; $3000 for veg. oil retrofit.
[ http://www.petitiononline.com/greenbus ]
6. Revenue-neutral clean car discount/feebate here (as proposed in CA by Rocky Mountain Institute).
[ http://www.petitionline.com/cleancar ; recall http://www.PetitionOnline.com/StepItUp ]
7. Dutchess website/link-- friendly carbon-cutting competition among families/nonprofits/schools/towns.
[ http://www.CarbonRally.com ; recall http://www.petitiononline.com/greenbld ]
8. Bike rental program for here in Dutchess at no cost at all to local taxpayers (as in Washington, D.C.).
[ http://dcist.com/2008/05/15/smartbike_dc_to.php ]
9. Local sales tax exemption on sale/installation of residential solar energy systems (as in Albany, Columbia, Essex, Hamilton, Montgomery, Nassau, Oneida, Orange, Rensselaer, Rockland, Schuyler, Suffolk, Tompkins, Warren, and Yates counties-- and New York City)
[ http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pdf/publications/sales/pub718s_1107.pdf ]
10. Make sure that recycling bins are finally placed next to all public trash containers across the county.
[ http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/whatyoucando/index3.html ]
For more information feel free to contact:
Dutchess County Legislature Environmental Committee Chair Joel Tyner
County Legislator, Clinton/Rhinebeck
324 Browns Pond Road
Staatsburg, NY 12580
[Host of "The Real Majority Project" Fridays 5-6 pm on WVKR 91.3 FM]