Burlington Work Party -- We're getting to work!
Sunday, 10 October, 2010 - 10:00 - 19:00
Get to Work in Burlington, VT!
On 10/10/10, join hundreds of Burlington-ians at Battery Park who will roll up their sleeves and actually get to work on solutions to climate change -- as part of 350.org's Global Work Party!
Optional: 9AM Join UVM Students who are meeting at Waterman Green to Walk and Rally with 350 Banners & Music to Battery Park.
10AM Kick-off Event at Battery Park, Burlington
Join us at Battery Park and find out about all the work projects happening across Burlington! You can choose a project you want to work on in the afternoon, and then join a group to go get the job done. We'll get you charged up with coffee and donuts too!
11AM - 3PM Get to Work: Join a Work Project
Here are some of the great projects happening around Burlington:
- Bike Economy Cluster - 350 person bike jam
- Burlington Bike Coalition - Free Bike Repairs at Battery Park
- Burlington Electric Department - Project Porch Light
- Calahan Park - Year End Garden Cleanup
- CarShare VT - Promote Car sharing through flyering and outreach
- CCTA - Adopt-a-shelter
- Chittenden Country Progressives - Salmon Hole Park Clean Up
- City Market - Local Foods Workshop
- Intervale Community Farm - Harvest Pickin' Party (organized by City Market)
- Good News Garage - Eco-Driving Workshop
- Green Mountain Club - 350 Tree Planting
- Intervale Conservation Nursery - Brush Clearing and Tree Inventory
- New Farms for New Americans - Farm clean-up/compost
- Pumpkin Regatta - Composting
- Race to Replace - Dorm storm for Voter Registration
- Teague O'Connor - Urban Ecology Field Walk: Finding Life Between the Cracks
- Battery Park Logistics Crew - Help set up, Organize, Communicate, and break down the event!
- One Revolution - Bike Delivery Service
- Solar Bus - Solar Power Supply at Battery Park
- UVM Rubenstein School Stewards - Battery Park Clothing Swap
- Pre 10/10/10, Richmond, Solar Orchard Prep, with Ben & Jerry's & Vermont Youth Conservation Corps
Here are 2 projects we'd love to have, but are still trying to find people who can host!
- Solar panel installation
- Group home weatherization
You can also find more projects at: www.350.org/map
3pm - 4pm: Gather Back at Battery Park
Come and watch Gordon Stone play some live acoustic music at the bandshell with Gordon Stone, and eat some delicious local food.
4pm - 6pm: Celebration Rally
Get ready for the biggest rally to celebrate climate solutions Vermont has ever seen - We are expecting hundreds of Vermonters to come out and show that we are willing to do what it takes to bring about change in our community.
Highlights from the rally include:
- Video Message from Bill McKibben
- Projected photo slideshow of people "getting to work" on 10/10/10 from across the globe
- Group 350 Aerial Photo (bring your tools that you worked with so you can hold them up high!)
- Appearances by politicians Burlington's Mayor Kiss, VT Democratic Governor Candidate Sen. Peter Shumlin, Congressman Peter Welch, US Senator Patrick Leahy, & US Senator Bernie Sanders (all have confirmed!)
- Hear what's next for Front Porch Forum from founder Michael Wood Lewis
- Live Body Painting with The Human Canvas' Kadina Malicbegovic
- UVM Dancers will dazzle us for 350 seconds
6pm - 7pm: More live music & local food
Continue to celebrate an amazing, planetary day of action, and feel the rising and celebratory energy for all the great work ahead.
- Please click "RSVP" below to sign up and get updates
- Please "like" us on Facebook: http://facebook.com/350BurlingtonVT
- Please email us at 350.Burlington@gmail.com if you have any questions!
Event Website: http://www.facebook.com/350BurlingtonVT
How to Get Involved Planning the Event: Email us at 350.Burlington@gmail.com - there is still work to be done, and the more the merrier.