350 Day at the Farmers Market!
Sunday, 10 October, 2010 - 09:00 - 12:30
*** Oct. 6: New speakers just confirmed, see below under "PLEASE GET THERE EARLY."***
***Flyer downloadable from this website... scroll way down to below the map. Please print a few out, and post wherever your travels take you.***
Lower your carbon footprint by supporting your local Farmer’s Market. On 10-10-10, come to the Brighton Farmers Market, and take action! We, passionate citizens of the Rochester area are privileged to honor the Town of Brighton, the Brighton Farmers' Market, and the volunteer citizens' organization Color Brighton Green for their pioneering efforts to reduce Brighton's carbon footprint. Let's show the rest of the Rochester community and the entire globe that there are people who get the 350 message! And let's demand that Congress lead by passing legislation to get us back to 350.
On 10-10-10, take one or all of these Work Party actions at the Brighton Farmers Market:
• PLEASE GET THERE EARLY-- we'll kickoff the morning at 9AM with Brighton Town Supervisor Sandra Frankel's remarks about Brighton's pioneering efforts to reduce their carbon footprint.
*** Our "emcee" will be Jim Howe, Executive Director of The Nature Conservancy, Western and Central New York. Jim is an inspiring and knowledgable speaker. In addition, State Assemblyman Joe Morelle will share what's happening environmentally in Albany, and everyone's favorite recycling maven, Kimie Romeo, will focus on the positive recycling solutions that are needed to get us back to 350.
• HOLD UP YOUR "350" SIGNS (we'll provide signs you can just pick up, to make things easy) and GATHER WITH US AT 9AM so we can show just how much grassroots support there is for positive climate solutions and strong Federal legislation to promote them. We'll gather again when the sculpture (see below) is finished to take pics and show it off!
• BUY YOUR FOOD FROM A LOCAL FARMER/VENDOR who produces his/her product sustainably. All vendors come from within 100 miles of the Market, and use sustainable practices.
• BRING YOUR RECYCLABLES—Color Brighton Green, a volunteer citizens group, collects plastics #3-7, alkaline batteries, corks, CDs, compact fluorescent bulbs, and crayons. All are recycled responsibly.
• HELP CREATE A SCULPTURE made from your and everyone’s recyclables, to show just how much we use and throw away. Can you guess what the sculpture will be? Very cool....
• Join our campaign to carve or PAINT 350 PUMPKINS. Stencils with eco themes, and paint, etc. will be provided at our pumpkin decoration station. A great way to green your Halloween! (Please do eat or compost your pumpkin when finished with it.) See http://www.scribd.com/doc/38428352/350-Pumpkins-Campaign .
• Are you participating in CURB YOUR CAR WEEK? It's underway right now! You can still sign up to reduce car miles traveled. The results will be announced during the 9AM program. The website: http://www.colorbrightongreen.org/site/index.php?page=curb-your-car-week
We’ll send a strong message to Congress that we the people expect strong climate legislation to be passed soon to get us back to 350ppm. Come on out and join us…. “Be the change you wish to see.” [Gandhi].
Hope to see you there!!
***PLEASE, if you do plan to come, please sign up on this website. It would be very helpful to know about how many people plan to come. THANK YOU so much. (Don't let not signing up keep you from coming, though!!)
How to Get Involved Planning the Event: Contact the organizer
Related Files: (to download, right-click and "Save As...")