Sustainable Ballard Neighborhood Work Parties & Celebration
Sunday, 10 October, 2010 - 10:00 - 19:00
Join us for one of 10 work parties around the neighborhood. Meet up at Ballard Commons Park, NW 57th and 22nd NW, for great speakers and then disperse to the neighborhood for one of our 10 workparties:
• Sew Fun Bags - Learn a simple bag pattern, then hop on one of 10 sewing machines (generously loaned by Ballard Sewing and Vacuum) and help us make re-usable shopping bags from fabric remnants. Bags will be donated to the Ballard Food Bank. (Organized in association with Sew-Up Seattle & Seattle Public Libraries)
• Storm-window and Home Weatherization workshop - See a demonstration of how to build your own storm window and other weatherization techniques and then help assemble interior and exterior storm windows to outfit our great community resource, the Sunset Hill Community Club. Get discounts on materials for your own storm windows. (Organized in association with Sunset Hill Community Association.)
• Native Plant Restoration at Golden Gardens Park - Join Seattle Parks to learn about our native eco-systems and how to protect our shorelines and plant diversity. Then help pull weeds and replant native species. (Organized in association with Seattle Parks and Recreation and Seattle Green Partnership)
• Solar Cooker Building Workshop - Learn how to make a solar cooker from simple materials and take home an oven! Tom Sponheim, instructor, lives in Seattle and has been cooking solar for 20 years. Tom spreads solar cooking awareness and skills worldwide, particularly in areas with diminishing sources of cooking fuel. (Organized in association with Solar Cookers International)
• Bicycle Maintenance & Emergency Repair Workshops - Session 1: the how-to’s of basic bicycle maintenance, using a stand to do basic repairs and adjustments.
Session 2: Emergency repairs. What to do after your bike breaks down during your ride. (Organized in association with BikeSport)
• Fruit Harvest Processing (Pies and Preserves) - Learn to cook and preserve with locally harvested fruit. Help produce good foodstuffs for our workparty celebration and to give to the Ballard Food Bank. (Organized in association with City Fruit & Ballard Community Center)
• Electronics & Appliance Recycling - Bring your Computers & Peripherals, Ink Cartridges, TVs, VCRs/DVDs, Cell phones, Telephones, Cameras, Communications Equipment, Misc. Office Machines, Stereos & Audio Components, PDAs, Handheld Games, Batteries, Misc. Electronics, Washers/Dryers to Ballard Commons Park (Organized in association with SBK/Green Century Electronic Recycling)
• Worm Bin Building Workshop - We'll build worm bins for the Ballard Community Center so that you can learn to build your own. Pre-register and build your own wormbin on the spot. (Organized in association with Ballard Community Center)
• Waterfront Clean-up - Join Seattle Works volunteers for a trash pick-up along Ballard's industrial waterfront between 14th Ave NW and 28th Ave NW.
• Paperback and Childrens' Book Exchange - Do you and your kids love to read and want to save money?? Bring your good condition books and trade them with other book enthusiasts for free!!
We'll come back together in the evening for a community celebration from 4:30-7:00 pm!
*Workparties run from 1 pm - 4 pm. Some require pre-registration. Visit our website for more details.
Event Website: http://fest.sustainableballard.org
How to Get Involved Planning the Event: Please contact email@example.com.
Event Host: Sustainable Ballard (www.sustainableballard.org), a blueprint for Everytown, USA, educates, inspires, and engages neighbors to take action to live more sustainably both individually and collectively. Our vision is an inclusive, joyful, sustainable community co-creating a world for this and future generations where eco-systems are healthy and peace is inevitable.
Related Files: (to download, right-click and "Save As...")