Red Hook 10 for 10%
Sunday, 10 October, 2010 - 10:00 - 17:00
Red Hook’s 10% Challenge is bringing people from all over our town together to reduce energy emissions by 10%. We're launching our year long initiative on 10/10/2010 with ten themes:
1) Compost It: Composting turns food scraps into black gold. Visit Agway for discounts on compost bins and learn how to make-your-own!
2) Walk it Off: Walkable Red Hook - burn calories, not gasoline. Run a 1/2 marathon or 5K - departs from the middle school
3) Efficiency Measures: Smart energy use in your home and office - save energy and save $. Go to Elmendorph to learn how to can, learn how to weatherize and more.
4) Grow It: Trees save on cooling and heating bills - carbon capture and pruning workshop. Talk to a master gardener and request a street tree at the Elmendorph Inn
5) Shop Locally: Good for you, your local economy, and the environment. Visit stores and farmstands for 10% discounts. Pick up your passport at Linden Ave. Middle School and find out what local businesses to visit.
6) Swap It: Sharing resources big and small. Come to the Clothing Swap at Linden Ave. Middle School - bring 10 fall/winter clothing items and take home 10
7) Ramp up Recycling: Keeping resources in play. Bring a carload of home electronics to Linden Ave. Middle School to recycle them for $10.
8) Changing Transportation: What’s new and what you can do to travel differently. Go on a Challenge bike ride or Family bike ride. See Bard's new electric van, high efficiency scooters at the middle school and sign up for Nuride at Taste Budds. Ride the electric bike and generate some electricity at the Elmendorph
9) Discover Renewable Energy: Everything counts - discovering solar, wind, biomass, geothermal. Visit two green buildings in Red Hook and speak to contractors about how to do it in your home or business.
10) Lead the Way: People leading people. Take the Challenge - pledge to reduce your energy use by 10% this year. Then make an energy plan at myenergyplan.net
Event Website: http://redhookchallenge.org
How to Get Involved Planning the Event: email firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer for a subcommittee or provide a resource or idea
Event Host: Red Hook Together is comprised of the Red Hook Central School District, Bard College, Red Hook Town and Villages, Chamber of Commerce and others.
Related Files: (to download, right-click and "Save As...")