With the final round of NEB hearings for the Trans-Mountain Kinder Morgan pipeline going forward today without any reform, people across the country took action to hold the Trudeau government accountable and demand they halt the ongoing reviews for the Kinder Morgan and Energy East pipelines.
Here’s a quick round up of actions and media hits.
- In Ottawa, residents delivered a People’s Injunction to Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna, calling on her to halt pipeline reviews if the government is serious about its 1.5C climate pledge made in Paris. Coverage in the Ottawa Sun, National Observer.
— Aurore Fauret (@uneaurore) January 15, 2016
- In Winnipeg, a group of activists went to Minister of Natural Resources Jim Carr’s office to search for the promised NEB rules, telling the Minister that if there are no new NEB rules, there should be no reviews. Coverage in Vice News, Vancouver Coop Radio (0:21 mark).
— Cam Fenton (@CamFenton) January 15, 2016
People’s Injunction – Searching for the New ReviewsLast Friday, a group of Winnipeg activists served a People’s Search Warrant at the offices of Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr to try and find the new pipeline review rules his government promised. Watch and find out what happened.Action organized in collaboration with 350.org and in support of the Manitoba Energy Justice CoalitionVideo edited by Allan Lissner. Filmed by Andrew Vineberg.
Posted by 350 Canada on Tuesday, January 19, 2016
- In Saskatoon, people rallied to enforce an Injunction. Across the province and beyond they also held a digital action for #PeopleOnTheLine for communities on the path of Energy East to join the People’s Injunction. Coverage in The Star Phoenix, Global News.
— Kathleen Aikens (@kathleenaikens) January 15, 2016
— Climate Justice SK (@CJSaskatoon) January 15, 2016
- In Montreal, constituents visited Justin Trudeau’s office to deliver a People’s Injunction and remind him that he’s the one who said that “governments grant permits, but only communities grant permission.” Coverage in Le Devoir, Vice News. Also check out the action’s wrap video on Facebook.
— Kristen Perry (@kk_perry) January 18, 2016
- In Thunder Bay, residents gathered at their MP office to tell them to keep their promises and fix the broken review process. Coverage in the Chronicle Journal, Thunder Bay Watch.
— 350 Canada (@350Canada) January 15, 2016
- In Vancouver & Burnaby, mobilizations against the Kinder Morgan NEB hearings kicked off in a big way. With a resounding no and with the leadership of First Nations, communities took the streets over several days — from blocking construction to delivering an injunction to marching on the hearings. Coverage in Vancouver Observer, and much more as the story is developing.
— Claris Figueira (@ClarisFig) January 18, 2016
The coming days will be crucial to keep the pressure up. Organize an action in your community in solidarity with Kinder Morgan opposition in Burnaby and to make sure any revised NEB rules include a halt to the massive Energy East pipeline review which is also ongoing.
Join the People’s Injunction by clicking here, and follow, share and chime in on #PeoplesInjunction on Twitter.
Check out the resources to organize:
- Action Toolkit & Visuals Toolkit/Templates
- Sample Press Release & Sample Talking Points
- If you’re already planning an action, click here to let us know what you’re up to and how we can help.
See the People’s Injunction in French at: http://injonctionpopulaire.org