First of four mass calls happening Wednesday, August 12th at 8pmET, with three more meetings taking place through November elections
USA — In this moment of palpable urgency around the compound crises of COVID-19, anti-Black violence, a lingering economic crisis, and fossil-fueled climate change causing devastating impacts, 350 US is organizing the first-ever Solidarity School series. Solidarity School is a series of four online mass meetings in the lead-up to, and following, the November election.
The first call, kicking-off tomorrow, Wednesday, August 12th, will feature U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley, Executive Director of North Bay Jobs with Justice Mara Ventura, and organizers from across the U.S. and around the world already leading a Just Recovery on the ground.
“Through Solidarity School, we’ll dive deep on what it means to show up in this moment of uprising, struggle, and opportunity for communities and movements working towards justice,” said Jameka Hodnett, Solidarity School organizer and leader with 350.org. “All of us have a responsibility to figure out our stake in not only ending the fossil fuel era, but also in heeding the wisdom and knowledge of Black leaders, Indigenous Peoples, workers, and communities of color to tackle these compound crises with love and rigor toward our long-term resilience.”
WHAT: Solidarity Schools mass calls on: (1) Our Fight for a Just Recovery; (2) Defund, Abolish & Divest; (3) Protecting Votes & Building Power; (4) From Recovery to Restoration
WHEN & WHERE:
- Wednesday, August 12: Our Fight for a Just Recovery: Workers Rights, Racial Justice, COVID & Climate
- Wednesday, September 9: Defund, Abolish & Divest: Climate, Racial & Economic Justice
- Wednesday, October 7: Protecting Votes & Building Power: Climate Justice & the Election
- Wednesday, November 11: From Recovery to Restoration: Holding Politicians Accountable & Organizing for a Just Transition
All calls will take place from 5-6:30pm PST / 8-9:30pm EST. Register here, or tune in on YouTube or Facebook Live.
WHO: Organized by 350 US, Solidarity Schools will feature visionary leaders across racial, climate, and economic justice movements fighting for a Just Recovery.
Speakers on tomorrow’s call include:
- Mara Ventura, North Bay Jobs with Justice
- U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley
- Shemona Moreno, 350 Seattle
- Lily Jacobson & Gail Marlene Schwartz, 350 Vermont
- Pete Sikora, New York Communities for Change
Contact: Lindsay Meiman, [email protected], (347) 460-9082