Global — On July 18th, Finance Ministers and Central Bankers of G20 nations will be virtually meeting to discuss reactions to the Covid-19 pandemic and the deepening economic crisis. Trillions of dollars are being put on the table. Civil society groups and movements from all fields are organizing to send a powerful message to the leaders of the richest countries on the planet that this is our money, our lives, and our future. To draw attention to the need for a truly healthy, green, equitable, and just recovery, actions will be taking place across the globe both online and offline during the week.
Photos and videos will be available after the events.
Key Activities by Country:
- On July 16th, civil society groups will deliver “A Just Recovery for South Africa” report to DBSA and the Ministry of Finance. Press contacts: Ahmed Mokgopo, Campaigner at 350Africa.org, [email protected],+27 79 916 8918; and Robert Magori, Communications Manager at 350Africa.org, [email protected], +254 721 525344
- On July 16th, several grassroots groups will hold distributed actions across the country, including banner drops over bridges in towns and cities where the groups are based, and photo opportunities in front of landmarks in these communities. The banners will also be part of an Art Competition organized by the Climate Justice Coalition (CJC). Press contacts: Brighton Phiri, Nu Climate Vision, +27 78 881 7821; and Robert Magori, Communications Manager at 350Africa.org, [email protected], +254 721 525344
- On July 18th, 350.org and partners will hold a 67 Minute art action online, calling on its online base to create Just Recovery banners and face masks to be shared on social media as well as used in the CJC art competition.
- On July 16th, between 6-8 PM local time, a creative projection is planned in Porto Alegre, South of Brazil. 350.org and local partners will demand that Brazil and other G20 countries stop funding coal. Press contacts: Renan Pereira, Field Organizer at 350.org Latin America, [email protected], +55 51 98055-6163; and Peri Días, Communications Manager at 350.org Latin America, [email protected], +591 7899 2202.
- On July 17th, Arshak Makichyan, from Fridays For Future Russia, is organizing a one-person picket in Moscow. Press contacts: Svitlana Romanko, Managing Director at 350.org Eastern Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia, [email protected], +38 050 273 8909; and Arshak Makichyan, FFF Russia, [email protected], +7 916 0240800
- On July 17th, 350.org and allies will create a pixelstick projection in Manila. Press contact: Chuck Baclagon, Associate Director for Digital Campaigns at 350.org Asia, [email protected], +63 9272412743.
- On July 17th, 350.org and partners from Youthnet for Climate Justice will open a banner on the coast at Cox’s Bazar. Press contact: Sohanur Rahman, Youthnet for Climate Justice, [email protected], +88 0 1615917359.
- On July 18th, the local organization Bangladesh Poribesh Andolan will organize a banner action in Mongla, Sundarbans. Press contact: MD Noor Alam, [email protected], +88017 18758666.
- There will be actions in support of a Just Recovery taking place in the UK and Germany at key locations – photos and video will be available after these events. Please contact Mark Raven for more information via [email protected] +4420 7097 3819.