350.org is the largest network of grassroots climate activists in the world and a leading organization in the environmental community. Our name comes from 350 parts per million, the safe upper limit of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (we’ve already passed that threshold, with CO2 at nearly 395 ppm).
Our online organizing, grassroots campaign, and mass mobilizations unite people in over 180 countries to take on the climate crisis and work for solutions together. Over the past four years, we’ve organized over 20,000 climate demonstrations on every continent and led major fights against the fossil fuel industry, like blocking the Keystone XL pipeline.
350.org was founded in 2008 by seven college friends from the state of Vermont in the United States and a leading US writer and environmentalist, Bill McKibben. Since then, the campaign has grown to include over 50 staff around the world, about half outside the United States. We continue to maintain a special focus on the United States (one of the leading obstacles to real climate action), but are looking to expand our international work.
In June, 350.org and allies organized Global Power Shift, an international conference in Istanbul, Turkey bringing together nearly 500 top, young climate activists from around the world. It was a week of strengthening the international climate movement, training a new generation of climate leaders in important organizing skills, and laying the groundwork for a massive global campaign to take on the fossil fuel industry and push for climate action.
We’re looking to hire a talented and dedicated East Asia Campaigns Coordinator to lead our East Asia team. Our team at 350.org are highly effective, multi-talented, multi-lingual, fun-loving team players. We are passionate about our work and hold ourselves to very high standards. We’re flexible, we can handle multiple projects well, and we are extremely dedicated to building a movement that can tackle the climate crisis at the scale of the challenge.
The countries we consider within the East Asia region are Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Brunei, Singapore, and Indonesia.
- Working with the Global Campaigns Team to develop 350 strategy globally and coordinate East Asia involvement.
- Leading on customizing global strategy to the East Asia region.
- Managing and support the East Asia Coordination Team.
- Building, strengthening, and managing key partnerships across East Asia.
- Developing content for online campaigns and communications in the region.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Very strong written and verbal English
- At least 3-5 years experience in international campaigns and movement building
- A strong familiarity with global and regional climate politics and issues
- Willingness to be available non-traditional hours as needed to ensure results
Highly welcome skills and qualifications include:
- Multi-lingual skills — the more the better!
- Basic design skills for materials, pamphlets
- Online organizing experience, familiarity with web tools
- Established international media connections
- Adaptable self-starter with a proactive approach to work;
- Flexible, hands-on and an ability to work under pressure to strict deadlines with minimum supervision using initiative, judgment, diplomacy and discretion;
- Extremely organized and able to prioritize workload;
- Self-starter mindset
- Highly strategic;
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills;
- Able to develop and maintain good working relationships at all levels;
- Must be professional, ethical, reliable, organized and multi-task oriented;
- You should naturally possess a nurturing, compassionate and very personable disposition;
- Know when to have a laid back approach/personality and when to assert yourself
COMPENSATION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “East Asia Campaigns Coordinator” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
POSITION TYPE: Independent contractor.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Rolling Until Hired
START DATE: ASAP
COMPENSATION RANGE: Base salary, based on experience
REPORTS TO: Global Campaigns Manager